Big Sisters Mentoring
What We Do Today Makes a Difference Tomorrow
Mentoring a child as a Big Sisters Mentor gives you the opportunity to provide a girl and young woman with a role model and friend; somebody to talk to and share experiences about growing up.
As a Big Sister, you’ll be part of a program that strives to:
- Provide a role model and a friend for young girls and young women;
- Promote the importance of staying in school and healthy relationships with family and peers;
- Instill trust and self-confidence to make healthy decisions;
- Encourage leadership skills and independent thinking; and
- Above all, make a difference while having fun.
Many of our Big Sisters describe this experience as life-changing for them as it is for their Littles.
How Does It Work?
The Big Sisters Mentoring program generally requires one regularly scheduled outing a week, with each outing lasting 2 to 4 hours. For any of our mentoring programs, we require a minimum one year commitment.
With regular outings, you build a relationship with your Little. This relationship is founded on trust and common interests, and is supported by BBBSO’s experienced caseworkers.