Go Girls! Group Mentoring
Promoting Healthy Bodies and Healthy Minds
Go Girls! is a group mentoring program dedicated to positively shaping the lives of young women and girls through a positive self-image. Designed for girls between the ages of 12 and 14, it is focused on physical activity, balanced eating, and self-esteem, setting them on a path to reach their full potential.
How It Works
The Go Girls! program consists of 7 mentoring sessions held over a 7-week period, held during school hours at elementary and middle schools throughout Ottawa.
Each session lasts between an hour and a half and two hours, and is loosely structured around four themes:
- Physical activity
- Healthy eating
- Communication skills
The program strives to:
- Instill appreciation for the benefits of an active and healthy lifestyle;
- Create an understanding of healthy eating habits and the risks of eating disorders;
- Promote positive attitudes towards mental activity and physical exercise;
- Encourage awareness of core values, personal interests, strengths, and attributes;
- Support the development of leadership and life skills;
- Offer guidance in establishing and maintaining lasting friendships; and
- Above all, make a difference.
The Difference Mentoring Makes
Were you lucky enough to have a mentor when you were growing up? Not everybody is.
Whether it was a parent, teacher, or a relative, it meant so much to have someone who treated us with mutual respect. These mentors valued our ideas, went out of their way to include us and encourage us, and gave us the courage and confidence to take charge of our own lives and be true to ourselves.
Go Girls! and our other mentoring programs are focused on making a difference in the lives of girls and young women by setting positive examples and creating lasting relationships that let them reach their full potential in life.
Interested in learning more, enrolling a little, or volunteering your time? Then get in touch with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Ottawa and start something big!