PRISM is an innovative mentoring program designed specifically for the 2SLGBTQ+ community
PRISM program matches children and youth who identify as 2SLGBTQ+ with an adult mentor who also identifies as 2SLGBTQ+ for a one on one mentoring relationship.
Through regular outings, the match will foster a friendship that is supportive, empowering and fun!
The purpose of a PRISM match is to:
- Provide role models for 2SLGBTQ+ children and youth
- Foster pride and self-confidence
- Create inter-generational connections within the 2SLGBTQ+ community
- Offer 2SLGBTQ+ children and youth a safe adult mentor to discuss identity with and above all, have fun!
- Educate families and support if/when needed
Children and youth interested in being matched with a mentor must:
- Self identify as 2SLGBTQ+
- Be between 6 and 24 years old
- Want a mentor who identifies as 2SLGBTQ+
The 2SLGBTQ+ community has a rich legacy of forging informal mentoring networks as a mode of survival. Today, the community has made great strides, yet 2SLGBTQ+ youth continue to face barriers.
Research shows that formal mentoring programs are a powerful, protective factor for this demographic as they develop their own unique sense of self.
We’re proud that our PRISM program is managed by staff identifying as 2SLGBTQ+, mobilizing 2SLGBTQ+ volunteers, all to mentor 2SLGBTQ+ youth right here in our city! We truly are bigger together!
MADE POSSIBLE WITH SUPPORT FROM:
Do you have questions about our PRISM program?
Please Contact us
Brianna Dusome, (she/they)
Director of Programs and Community Partnerships
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Ottawa | Grands Frères Grandes Soeurs d’Ottawa
Brianna.Dusome@bigbrothersbigsisters.ca 613.247.4776 ext/poste 322