PRISM is a mentoring program for the 2SLGBTQ+ community. PRISM is a community and school-based program. Children and youth who identify as 2SLGTBQ+ are connected with an adult mentor who also identifies as 2SLGBTQ+ for a one on one mentoring relationship. Through regular outings, the match will foster a friendship that is supportive and empowering
The purpose of a PRISM match is to:
- Provide role models for 2SLGBTQ+ children and youth;
- Foster pride and self-confidence;
- Create inter-generational connections within the 2SLGBTQ+ community;
- Educate families and support if/when needed;
- Offer 2SLGBTQ+ children and youth a safe adult mentor to discuss identity with and above all, have fun!
Children and youth interested in being matched with a mentor must:
- Self identify as 2SLGTBQ+;
- Be between 6 and 24 years old;
- Want a mentor who identifies as 2SLGBTQ+
The 2SLGBTQ+ community has a rich legacy of forging informal mentoring networks as a mode of survival. Today, the community has made great strides, yet 2SLGBTQ+ youth continue to face barriers. Research shows that formal mentoring programs are a powerful, protective factor for this demographic as they develop their own unique sense of self.
We’re proud that our PRISM program is managed by staff identifying as 2SLGBTQ+, mobilizing 2SLGBTQ+ volunteers, all to mentor 2SLGBTQ+ youth right here in our city! We truly are bigger together!